Monday, September 8, 2008

.School sure has changed....

So, today I almost caused a "lock down" at Ellis Elementary school.
I suppose I should have realized the new way of things when Livie came home from her second day of school and told us she learned what to do when there was a fire and a "lock" at the school. But, since she was much more concerned about the possibility of a fire occuring at home when no one was here to help Gracie or Lucy, we talked more about this then the "lock" thing she mentioned.
Today, I learned ALL about the lock as I almost caused one. See, as I explained before I get to walk Livie from my work to her school. Last week we would pass by three other doors to go around to the front entrance, where we were told walkers should go. Well, on Friday, Mrs. Almon, Livie's teacher, saw us walking by and told us she was perfectly fine to go into one of those other doors that we were passing by as it is the bus entrance, and right by her classroom anyway.
Did I pay attention as to which door it was?? NO, of course not. So, today, when we were running just a little bit behind schedule, only one person was standing by one of the three doors, and, when we got to it, she was gone. The first set I had tried was locked. The next set was open - so I just opened it and walked in with her. BIG MISTAKE! This was the gym, and the gym teacher was quick to come up to me to tell me that if I continued walking in the building without a badge - pointing to her chest to show me where a badge would be as my work badge on my lower pocket did not qualify I guess - I would cause a lock down. I explained I was just trying to find the bus entrance for my kindergartener, and she looked at me as though I had three heads, so I spoke slower, and looked straight at her as I said again, I was only attempting to get my child to class. At this point she seemed to have caught on and said "Well, perhaps I could walk her there, would that be okay??" Since I have never been allowed passed the hallowed doors to any of the classrooms and would not know where to go if I were allowed in, lock down or not, it seemed like the perfect answer. And they say gym teachers have no brain!

No comments: